Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mango Chutney...by request!

Quilly left a comment requesting my recipe for Mango Chutney. Hey Quilly...I thought I was supposed to come to your house to make it! Hey folks, Quilly lives in Hawaii! I think I really need to go there....all the chopping and simmering, doncha need some help Quill?

I made this for our annual progressive dinner / garden party last month. The inspiration came from a cookbook my mom gave me, Sam Choy's Cuisine Hawaii. Mom had the book for more than twenty years, she loaned it to me thinking I might want to try some of the recipes...well, of course I do!

The recipe that caught my eye was for Baked Brie with Macadamia Nuts...oh yum. The brie was coated in finely chopped macadamia nuts and panko. I served the warm brie on a bed of baby greens drizzled with a Papaya Seed Dressing, a dollop of the Mango Chutney topped the brie. It was wicked good if I do say so myself.

The recipe for the Mango Chutney came from simply recipeshttp://simplyrecipes.com

MANGO CHUTNEY
2 cups sugar
1 cup distilled white vinegar
6 cups mangoes (4 to 5), peeled and cut in 3/4 -inch pieces, I mixed it up and used some honey mangoes....I also chopped them a bit smaller than recommended
1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon mustard seeds, whole
1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (hot), this kinda scared me because I don't care for really spicy food but it wasn't an issue at all

1. Combine sugar and vinegar in a 6 quart pot; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
2. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, uncovered, until syrupy and slightly thickened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir occasionally during cooking.
3. Pour into clean, hot jars leaving 1/2-inch headspace; close jars. Process in a water bath 15 minutes.
Makes 6 (1/2 pint) jars.

* I didn't put it into the jars, I kept it in the fridge and used it on grilled chicken, fish, pork....you name it! I even used it in a wrap with cold grilled chicken, red bell pepper, lettuce and havarti cheese - that was dang good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Shelly, when does your plane land? I'll be at the airport waiting for you.

Tami said...

Oh dear, it was soooo good. Are there any leftovers? Or did that dinner group eat everything? hee hee ;)

Carletta said...

Beautiful setting and it sounds yummy!