I ripped this recipe out of the newspaper, I've been doing this ever since I can remember. Newspapers, magazines, newsletters...if it looks good I want the chance to try it. When the stack of pages gets out of control I move them to a three ring binder...this recipe is a keeper - worthy of a sleeve in the binder that's getting pretty heavy these days.
BRAISED CHICKEN WITH FIRE-ROASTED TOMATOES
1 14-ounce can diced fire roasted tomatoes
3/4 cup canned chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange rind
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsly ground pepper
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts..I cut them in half
2 tablespoons seasoned dry breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper cut into thin strips (about 1 cup ) I use red bell pepper
...the flavor of green bells is too bitter for me
1 onion, vertically sliced
1 8 ounce package sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Combine tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, orange rind, salt and pepper in large bowl; set aside.
2. Lightly coat chicken with breadcrumbs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet
over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side.
Remove to a plate.
3. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add red pepper, onion and mushrooms; saute 7-12 minutes, or
until mushroom liquid evaporates and vegetables are tender.
4. Return chicken and any juices to pan; spoon vegetables over top. Add tomato mixture. Cover,
bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer until chicken is done, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with
cheese; cover and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute. Serves 6.
I served it with this salad that was printed with the recipe..it's a keeper too!
SALAD WITH ORANGE CUMIN VINAIGRETTE
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, crushed with mortar and pestle
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup orange juice
9 cups torn romaine lettuce
1. Combine all ingredients, except romaine lettuce, in a jar; shake well. Serve over romaine
lettuce. Serves 6.
Note: I added thinly sliced red bell pepper and fresh orange segments to the salad, it adds color and flavor...yummm.