Sunday, March 23, 2008

Jingle Bells vs. Lucifer

This is my poor Rhododendron 'Jingle Bells'.
Dear 'Jingle Bells' has a huge dead spot where the Crocosmia 'Lucifer' leaned against it. I guess I planted them too close together, my bad! Some plants do fine together, but 'Lucifer' certainly hurt 'Jingle Bells'....who knew that 'Lucifer' leaning on 'Jingle Bells' would do so much damage.

My dear sister Roz and I tend to speak in metaphors, it makes some people crazy but it works for us. Many of our conversations include the phrase "it's like when...", and then we ramble on and on...with a whole lot of "yeahhh...exactlyyy!!" Yesterday I was talking to her about some of life's little challenges. We had a really good visit after which she said "I think you should blog about it". I told her I wasn't really comfortable talking about something that is so personal...she said "I think you can figure it out". Today when I was looking at the damage that 'Lucifer' had done to 'Jingle Bells' I had my answer. I planted 'Lucifer' and 'Jingle Bells' next to each other because they're in the same color family and they compliment each other, I had no idea that 'Lucifer' was doing so much damage to 'Jingle Bells' by just leaning on her a little bit (okay...a lot!). Gardens are full of life lessons for me. Sometimes when I'm rattled the best thing for me to do is to go outside and play in the dirt...I've done this ever since I was a little kid, it's calming for me to touch soil and plant life...it's my "grounding" wire. Plants as teachers...who knew. 'Lucifer' and 'Jingle Bells' were growing fine next to each other, they seemed to thrive in that soil, that light....but when one leaned on the other...it did so much damage that the growth pattern will be permanently altered...in a not-so-good way.

Plants are like people, sometimes we can peacefully co-exist. But sometimes....even though they compliment one another, there is too much leaning....and the end result is a big gap where brutal pruning needs to be done to get rid of the damage....oh...that sounds so harsh...but life is harsh sometimes.

This post has been sitting in my "draft" column for a while, I didn't know how to link it all together. Over the weekend I stumbled upon this over at Hidden in France, I think it's the "Ahh Haaa!" that I was looking for. It's left-brain / right-brain 101, check it out....I think you'll be glad you did.

I love her summary at the end of her talk, my favorite is "I believe that the more time we spend choosing to run the deep inner peace circuitry of our right hemispheres, the more peace we will project into the world and the more peaceful our plantet will be" Jill Bolte Taylor

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I'm glad your sister talked you into blogging about it. I totally get what you're saying too... Over the weekend I thought about a blog entry that I had decided not to do because I was wanting to stay away from so much personal drama but I think now I will see what I can come up with. Our topics are similar, so it'll be the theme for the day.

So many times I've read your entries and was like, "yeah, I know!". and then would have something to add, like we could have had a whole conversation but I'm only reading. I just know that given face to face time, we'd be yapping away, laughing and talking, and just getting each other.